Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Special Swim Post: Freestyle Hands

Hey, guys! I'm back with more blog content. If you don't know why I'm making a book summary about 12 Years a Slave, you should read my older post for more information. If we shorten the information I wrote in the older post, I was assigned to give out FREE swimming tips. I know. You're welcome. No need to thank me; it's what a blogger has to do. It's what I have to do and its for the good of a lot of people. It doesn't fit the title, I'm very sorry, but I'm just too tired of managing more than three blogs. Before you go to this post, I suggest you guys to see my older post because every swimmer starts with kicking. That is because kicking with a float board keeps you floating and you don't drown. Hands in swimming are more advanced than footwork because you learn to float while moving your feet. If you can't float, you can't swim. I watch quite a lot of sports; I'm into basketball, soccer, UFC, and some more sports. What I'm really hyped up for is the World Cup. I'm definitely rooting for Germany. Munich's season this year wasn't amazing, but it was quite nice; they won a double. Reus is expected to perform well and so is Neuer. I'm also excited for the full results of the NBA Playoffs. I'm going for Spurs. Now, let's get to the technique.

Hands take a big part in swimming. I myself enjoy hand drills because my hands are powerful enough to get me ahead of my training partners. Hands in freestyle take about 60% of the style so it's really important to have powerful hands. The core power that produces most energy for the hands are the palms. I'm used to putting my thumb above my index finger when swimming, and it slows me down quite a lot. What not to do when doing hand drills are keeping your hands straight. It doesn't make power and it slows you down a lot.

For beginners, hand drills could be done by just swimming a few laps. remember to keep your hands pivoting. If you keep it straight it slices the water. You want to palm your hands effectively you'd better keep your hands pivoting from your elbow. Hands are like the opposite of legs; do it from your elbows, not the arms. Get used to folding your elbows when taking a breath. It would save a lot of energy when doing long distance races.For short distance races like 50s or 100s, just throw your hands to the front since long term energy won't be needed.

For intermediate swimmers, hand drills should be done by using buoys and paddles. Fold your legs to keep it from interfering with your hand movement. Paddles should keep your hands heavy so when you pull the water it tires your hand. Never slice the water with your hands; palm it. Slicing the water would be way faster but it slows you down a lot. Never take the easy way out; take the hard way because it would improve your hand movement. Also remember about the bodyline I told you in the first post; never break it. Always rotate your body when moving your feet and match it with your arm movement. Also remember to push your hands to the very back to reach maximum glide. Always remember a high elbow to conserve energy in long distance swims. Remember to put your middle fingers to the water first so you don't get a late grab. After you grab the water, immediately pull the water.

Training your hands should be optimized by some serious training attire like the pullbuoy and the paddle. Waterproof training could be done by doing pushups or pullups. Come back for more swimming tips.

No comments:

Post a Comment